CureZone   Log On   Join
The Quest for Perfect Almond Butter!

oceancalm Views: 8,277
Published: 17 years ago

This is a reply to # 772,895

The Quest for Perfect Almond Butter!

Okay so I ended up making two batches of almond butter to experiment a bit. One batch I prepared quite carefully, and tirelessly I must add (this is following all the detailed instructions I've come up with on making almond butter). So I soaked two cups of raw almonds for 12 hours, then I blanched them in warm water, which took a good 40 minutes to an hour! I soaked them for another couple hours and then later dehydrated them for a short while. To further eliminate the possibility of heat, I put the almonds in the freezer and cooled the twin gears in the fridge. When I was ready, I set up the Samson, using the Crush/Blank screen and poured a little olive oil on the gears. I fired it up, and put the almonds through, adding a little OO (Olive-Oil) periodically (ended up using about 2-teaspoons worth). To my dismay it didn't come out as I hoped it would, as the consistency was more like a soft mush/meal, but I knew it would come out better the 2nd time, so I put it in the freezer and an hour later put it through the juicer again, this time coming out a little better, but still nothing like the smooth almond butter you get from the stores! Oh well, "hopefully it tastes good at least" I thought to myself. I tried some, and it was pretty bland so I added some Sea Salt which made it a little better, but still surprisingly almost tasteless.

I decided to experiment and took out some more raw almonds from the fridge (unsoaked, not blanched nor dehydrated), and put them through the Samson to see how they would turn out. I processed them a second time (without refridgerating), tasted it, and amazingly it was much, much better! Apparently the skin is what gives 90% of the flavor. I barely had to put any oil or salt at all, and it was quite good! Now many say you should soak and blanch almonds before eating, but I'll tell you this much, it is definitely a chore, especially for making almond butter (imagine peeling 5+ handful of almonds 1 at a time!). There are different school's of thought on whether the skin is good or bad for you (some say it's toxic while others say it's nutritious, but the first I have not yet seen substantiated), but all I know is that for the future I will definitely be sticking to making almond butter the easy way ;)

Happy Juicing!

Mike

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2023  dir.curezone.com

2.514 sec, (2)