I would like to firstly acknowledge Daniel Miller and I thank him sincerely on listing his progress and recovery on curezone. My healing steps is not the same as Daniel's. I have had my difficulties with 'peeling lips' for 12 years and now I can say I'm in remission and that I have not had any peeling for the past 2 months which is significant. I will list below the important details on what has helped me to heal:
1. Referred to a dermatologist who diagnosed me correctly with fungal infection and successfully treated. However, peeling lips continued.
2. After trialling vaseline/or thick petroleum based ointment this did not work for me for 11 years only poorly managing the condition. My lips were biopsied and had negative results and I tried injection of steroid with no results.
3. I decided to research and found a journal article by professor Kobkan Thongprasom detailing the successful treatment of EC. You can find this article via google.
4. I followed this procedure after ruling out other symptoms that may contribute/cause EC aka above with a fungal infection
TIP my doctor was very helpful to examine my lips through making swabs and sending this to pathology for testing to rule out other diagnoses
5. As luck would have it, with the lockdown with covid-19, I had the opportunity at home to constantly apply glycerine at least 8-10 times a day which significantly improved my lips and I have a motivating factor I started presenting to an audience as part of my job.
I did all the changes to toothpaste and it had no difference to my lips, I use any toothpaste now. I brush my teeth and floss with a floss stick.
I went against others advice to keep dead skin on my lips, I focused on applying glycerine via cotton bud on the raw skin underneath.
I used diluted peroxide initially to help clean the skin but after 1 week I did not feel I needed to continue - read the journal article.
I dabbed gently any food on my lips with a tissue or I used glycerine on my cotton bud to remove any food bits as well.
I live in a hot dry windy area of the world so if possible if you can work from home this is a great opportunity to experiment as you can keep indoors and protect from the outside weather.
My lips had been much worse than on the journal article and for a period I found it difficult to cope when I was working and going outside.
I hope what I share on this forum will benefit others. I think one of the most important part of my recovery again is what Daniel has stated in his journey is refocusing on what is important to you and acknowledging that people around you love and support you everyday. I want to say that you are important and there are people that love you dearly. Keep those people close.
All my compassion go out to you. May my message ease your suffering.